The temple dedicated to nature was built at Montanvert at the request of French diplomats in 1795. This image was published in 1803. The building provided shelter for travelers and extolled the virtues of the French Revolution and the savants and mountaineers who ventured beyond the edge of the cliff.
Source: Marc-Théodore Bourrit, Description des cols: ou passages des Alpes (Geneva, 1803), vol. 1, p. 40. Harvard College Library, Widener Library, Swi 685.21.7; http://id.lib.harvard.edu/aleph/004121680/catalog