The Morgan Construction Company was founded in 1891 in Worcester Massachusetts by Charles Hill Morgan and was acquired by Siemens Ltd. in 2008. The Morgan Construction Company was primarily involved in the creation of steel mills for steel companies domestically and internationally. The Morgan Construction Company was a family business that spanned 5 generations. Charles Hill Morgan was president from 1888-1911. Paul B. Morgan was president from 1911-1941. Philip M. Morgan was president from 1941-1965. Paul S. Morgan was president from 1965-1986 and Philip R. Morgan was president from 1968-2008. The Morgan Construction company also had close ties with its other family businesses in the beginning of the 20th century including the Morgan Spring Company and the Morgan Motor Company. Beyond steel mills, the Morgan Construction Company also made Morgoil bearings, Stelmor cooling systems and during WWII they made flame throwers for the M4A1 tank.
Significant inventions for the Morgan Construction Company and the founder Charles Hill Morgan include the Morgan continuous rod mill (1878), Reel for coiling wire-rod (1880), Shears for cutting rods while in motion (1893), Morgoil bearing (1931), No-twist mill (1963), and the Stelmor cooling system (1964) created in conjunction with the Steel Company of Canada (Stelco).
The collection of records includes correspondence with the Morgan Construction company, ledger books and account books for the Morgan Construction Company and the Morgan Motor Company; ephemera relating to the family reunions and retirements; newspaper clippings; newsletters for employees and employee handbooks; reports on mill construction; instructions for the operation of the mills; mechanical drawings of the mills; patents, patent drawings, patent models and patent litigation materials; files relating to specific projects or contracts; motion pictures of the mills; photographs of the mills; and other materials.
A complete guide to the collection is available here.
Portions of the collection have been digitized and are being made available here in digital form. When any one item from a folder has been digitized, all items in that same folder have been digitized. If you would like to request additional items from the collection be digitized and made available, please contact WPI's Archives & Special Collections at 508.831.6112 or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.